Tuesday, November 13, 2012

My Guide to Apple Hill


This past weekend my husband and I went up to Apple Hill, as it is a tradition we've kept up since our first date! I've never been up in November and while the air is definitely a bit chilly, it is definitely the best time to go! All of the beautiful fall colors are in full swing and the crowds are not as insane as they are in late September/October. If you are in the Northern California area, you must make a trip up in the next couple of weeks to enjoy the beautiful scenery and the delicious food! Below are some of my favorite spots to visit.




This cute winery is a walk away from the popular High Hill and Boa Vista ranches. The team at the winery is very kind and helpful even when it is packed! We stopped in to taste some of their yummy wines and relax. My personal favorite is the Riesling (not the signature) as it is very light and flavorful!



After you have some wine, you must take a moment to walk over to the vineyards to take in the spectacular view they have right there at the winery. My husband and I actually took our engagement photos here and at High Hill. You can see some of those shots here.








After some wine we went over to High Hill, a popular Apple Hill spot. We spent some time taking blog photos here because of the beautiful backdrop and picked up some Pink Lady apples, my absolute favorite!  This spot is a great place for kids because they have fishing and pony rides here as well.






This is the place to go for food! We walked onto the patio and we couldn't stay there without ordering the garlic fries! I also picked up a slice of apple pie and and an apple doughnut. Oh my gosh they were so good, I practically inhaled my pie! They also have lots of jams, unbaked pies and other treats to take home, although I tend to head over to Boa Vista for treats. 




Jack Russell is a great spot to end the afternoon - they have ales, meads and ciders that are well known through the area. The brewery has lots of picnic tables as well as a patio area to relax with friends while you enjoy your beverage. While the pumpkin ale is what they are known for, I actually loved their meads. My personal favorite is the semi-sweet blackberry mead. You can even get a flight of the meads/ciders to taste while in their awesome cave. 




Our last stop is always Boa Vista since we hit it up to pick up pies, salsas, apple butter and of course, their apple wine. I recommend that before you head back down the hill that you stop here to at least pick up the apple wine. It has amazing flavor and is the perfect addition to holiday dinners. We also picked up two pies to bring home to family and friends since they also make some pretty stellar pies. My favorite pie is the dutch apple pie!

 

Don't wait - make a trip up to Apple Hill and enjoy all of the fun and beauty this area has to offer! Click here for a map of the area with all of the different ranches and spots included.




No comments:

Post a Comment